Friday 3 June 2022

Pupil Feedback

 In our new KS3 assessments, we always have a section for pupils to reflect on their learning and give us feedback.

So impressed with this pupil's ideas about their own language-learning

It's useful for me to have feedback, but I also want the pupils to feel engaged. The more we can get them thinking about why they are learning a language, how they are learning, and how they are doing, the better they will get at thinking of themselves as language-learners.

Of course, I love it when they pick out as important things like phonics, gender, high frequency words, opinions. Or developing a core repertoire to express themselves. And often I think it is because they recognise the importance. Not just because they've heard me say it so many times and give me the answer they think I want to hear.


Phonics. And "I am a squirrel".










And one thing that hasn't come from me, is how frequently they talk about phrases for basic situations. Saying hello, finding the way, ordering food. It seems entirely natural to them that we should teach them what they need, to be equipped with some sentences ready for common situations if they travel abroad.


In case you are kidnapped. And it makes you look smart.






I think we do have to listen to this. And keep it in mind when balancing our curriculum. Lots of them do comment on the nitty gritty of powerful words, grammar, improving their speaking and writing. But they also think it is a perfectly reasonable expectation that we teach them useful phrases. Our pupils are a useful and sane counterbalance to the Ofsted diktats that language should be about exemplifying forms, not communication.

Then you get comments about pupils' view of themselves as language-learners, which are invaluable in building a shared sense of purpose and positivity:

Cats are French

Pride because he worked for it

Why wouldn't they?

Impress my mum

No comments:

Post a Comment